Our Promise to America
OUR PROMISE TO AMERICA
As Democratic members of the Congress of the United States and as citizens seeking election to Congress as Democrats, we promise that if we are elected (or re-elected) to seats in the House of Representatives and the Senate, we will vote in favor of legislation providing for:
A “full employment economy, where everyone has a job that pays enough to raise a family and live in dignity with a sense of purpose”:
- A “Full Employment Act” that guarantees every worker in America a socially-useful job that pays a living wage (as defined above).
- The “Off Fossil Fuels for a Better Future Act [H. R. 3671] and the “100 by ’50 Act” [S.987] because we believe “Americans deserve the jobs and security that come from our country becoming the clean energy superpower of the 21st century”.
- An “Employee Free Choice Act” to promote the “Right to Unite” – the right of every worker to join a union.
“Medicare for All” [H. R. 676 and S. 1804].
Meaningful reform of our electoral system to make our political system more genuinely democratic:
- “The Government by the People Act” [H. R. 20], which provides a public financing option for candidates (and voters).
- The “Fair Representation Act” [H. R. 3057] to end gerrymandering and make our government more genuinely democratic.
- A constitutional amendment that replaces the Electoral College with direct election of the president and vice-president [H. J. Res 19].
- A “Corporations are not People Amendment” to the Constitution of the United States [S. J. Res 20 and H. J. Res 48, 88 or 377] making it clear that corporations are not people and are subject to regulation by the governments of the United States and of the states.
Make college affordable. “America’s College Promise Act of 2017” [H. R. 3709].
Fair taxation: through the “Paying a Fair Share Act of 2017” [S. 955 and H. R. 2159]. To make sure corporations and the wealthiest among us pay their fair share of taxes.
Respecting the judgment of our fellow citizens, as we seek their support for our election, we hereby make this promise to America.
Note: This may not be the final version of “Our Promise to America.” We are accepting input and feedback, especially from Democratic members of Congress and Democratic candidates for Congress, through February 26, 2018.